Friday, March 30, 2012

11. I've Got Your Number


Book #11: I've Got Your Number
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Published: February 14, 2012
433 pages
5 gold stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry the ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her 'happy ever after' begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring but in the panic that followed, she has now lost her phone. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!

Well, perfect except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton doesn't agree. He wants his phone back and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life.

What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other's lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents... she soon realises that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.

I will forever be a fan of Sophie Kinsella. The moment I picked up Confessions of a Shopaholic when I was in high school, I knew she was a keeper. Her protagonists are hilarious and real. They are not always doing the right things or saying the right things and that makes them super believeable. Poppy is no exception. She is quirky and makes mistakes and does whatever she can to try to make her fiance's family like her. Don't we all try to impress those who are smarter than us? She goes through great lengths to cover up the fact that she lost her engagement ring and every moment of her life is entertaining to read about.

Kinsella uses much of the same details in her books, but I don't get bored with them. The hilarious lead, the craziness that they somehow always get themselves into, and the man who is the perfect fit to their puzzle. Her novels read like a romantic comedy and I read them in one sitting most of the time because the pace is set perfectly to make you keep reading. I'm never disappointed with what I find when I crack open one of her novels.

I've Got Your Number adds a unique touch to the world of chick-lit. Poppy is trying out footnotes and in case the actual novel wasn't funny enough, Poppy's footnotes take the cake. It is the exact way that I would use footnotes: not for anything important, but for the random thoughts that pop into my head. They complete the story if you ask me, rounding out any little details that bring Poppy to the top of the heroine food-chain.

So Sophie, if you don't mind, could you please start working on your next novel? Thank you.

"Except...I do. Of course I do. Because as his hands gently cup my waist, I don't make a sound. As he swivels me around to face him, I don't make a sound. I don't need to. We're still talking. Every touch he makes, every imprint of his skin is like another word, another thought, a continuation of our conversation. And we're not done yet. Not yet."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts