Sunday, July 15, 2012

35. Savages

Book #35: Savages
Author: Don Winslow
Published: July 13, 2010
303 Pages
4 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Part-time environmentalist and philanthropist Ben and his ex-mercenary buddy Chon run a Laguna Beach–based marijuana operation, reaping significant profits from their loyal clientele. In the past when their turf was challenged, Chon took care of eliminating the threat. But now they may have come up against something that they can’t handle—the Mexican Baja Cartel wants in, and sends them the message that a "no" is unacceptable. When they refuse to back down, the cartel escalates its threat, kidnapping Ophelia, the boys’ playmate and confidante. 


Whenever I find out a movie coming out is based on a book, I grab that book as soon as I can and read it before I see the movie. I've done this many a times and never been disappointed. I'm not the type that can read the book after I've seen the movie (there are some exceptions) so I like to get my hands on the book first. So when I saw Savages in the store I had to pick it up since the trailer for the movie had already sold me on it.

The book is written in an easy to read prose format. The chapters are super short and the narration allows for us to see the story from all angles. We're introduced to Ben and Chon, two California guys who own a very successful drug business. They are also both involved with Ophelia (O)
in the most messed up romance you can find.

They're business is going smoothly until the Baja Cartel decides they want in and Ben and Chon want nothing to do with them. Well, this is the Baja Cartel we're talking about so
They get involved anyway
And kidnap O.

Ben and Chon aren't happy, so they take matters in to their own hands.

The plot is fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat. Violence on every page made me want to keep turning them so I could see how the story played out. Ben and Chon are two very different men. Ben is a humanitarian who travels all over the world to help others. Chon is military man who's only answer to everything is to kill it. They're differences are what make their business run. And when it comes to getting O out, they cross lines they never thought they'd cross for the girl they love. O is an adorable character. She's a little slutty (obviously) but it seems to work. She's a bored Laguna Beach girl who wants anything but the normal California life. She reminds Elena, the head of the BC, of her own daughter and they may save her life.

There is violence. There is death. There is (a lot of) sex. The underlaying theme is that love is our strength but it is also our weakness. What would you do for the ones you love?
How far would you go?
Who would you kill?

The drug business is a scary one. And this book captures it perfectly. The only problem I had with it was that there is a lot of lingo that is not explained and after a little while, it got kind of confusing. But it didn't stop me from reading through it as fast as I possibly could.

"Elena knows that love makes you strong
And love makes you weak.
Love makes you vulnerable.
So if you have enemies
Take what they love."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts