Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite Authors In X Genre



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is: Top 10 Favorite Authors In X Genre

I'm going to break it up into two groups because this is a really hard one. I don't even think I've read more than 10 books that I've loved in one genre unless broaden it. So I'll do two Top Fives! These are my two favorite genres right now and it's pretty much all I'm reading. One is based off of worlds we hope never exist and the other is all too real. Dystopian and Contemporary YA. 

Dystopian YA. 

1. Suzanne Collins: I'm pretty sure The Hunger Games is what started this whole revival. It's the first series I read and it transformed me into a YA addicted book nerd. I loved the concept, the characters, and the heartbreak. I hope Collins comes out with a new series soon because I'd love to read more work from her.

2. Veronica Roth: After reading THG I needed more dystopian. So I picked up Divergent and fell head first int Roth's futuristic world. Vastly different from THG, Roth holds her on in this genre and I can't wait to read the final instalment!

3. Lauren DeStefano: Another greats series. Wither is scary and charming all at once. DeStefano paints a completely different world than the rest and it's refreshing. I can't wait to find out how Rhine's story ends.

4. Lauren Oliver: Delirium took my breath away. From the quotes at the beginning of every chapter to the love that doesn't exist in the world, I felt like I needed to be in that world just to prove that love is not a disease, that it is life. I've also read Oliver's Before I Fall and loved it! So I can't wait to read more from her.

5. Lissa Price: Starters is what I desperately hope the world does not turn into, but it seems the most likely. I loved the Cinderella story and I'm waiting with baited breath for the sequel.

Contemporary YA:

1. Courtney Summers: Hands down my favourite author. She writes such believable characters that you find yourself without even an inkling of how the story will end. She holds me from the first page and I'm still stuck in the book weeks after I've put it down.

2. John Green: Does anyone really need a reason why I love him? His books are epic and he captures adolescence perfectly. He is the king of this genre!

3. Hannah Harrington: Speechless blew me away. It didn't just focus on bullying, but it focused on how life goes on and that it isn't the end of the world. I can't wait to read her debut novel, Saving June, which is pretty high on my To Read list right now.

4. Candace Bushnell: When I read Sex And The City, I was a little disappointed because it wasn't enough like the series. But after reading The Carrie Diaries, I have a new appreciation for Bushnell. Carrie's back story is heartbreaking and fun at the same time and I love seeing where one of my favourite TV characters grew up. 

5. Ann Brashares: The Sisterhood Of The Travelling Pants made me smile, cry, and wish for a pair of magic pants. It shows friendship the way it really is. It's not always happy and as people grow up, things change. It's a good book to contemplate your relationships with your girlfriends to. It gives you hope for the future.

Both genres are different in their own ways but they both deal with the same issues: trying to figure out who you are in a crazy world.  No matter what the situation, teens (humans) feel the same emotions. I have a feeling I'll be reading these genres for a long time to come!



4 comments:

  1. Great list! :) My TTT was on Top Ten Contemporary YA Authors:
    http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/top-ten-favorite-contemporary-ya-authors/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! I haven't read any of the books on your list, but since I'm super into Contemporary books right now, I think I'll check some of them out!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I happy to see Courtney Summers on your list. She is fantastic. Did you read Blood Red Road? I recommend it for fans of THG. I really need to read Starters! Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-1gn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Blood Red Road, the writing looks odd and I think I'd have a hard time reading. Was it hard to read? And yes, Courtney Summers is amazing!

      Delete

Popular Posts