Friday, November 16, 2012

Review: The Rise Of Nine

The Rise Of Nine
Author: Pittacus Lore
Published: August 21, 2012
360 Pages
4 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Until the day I met John Smith, Number Four, I'd been on the run alone, hiding and fighting to stay alive.

Together, we are much more powerful. But it could only last so long before we had to separate to find the others. . . .

I went to Spain to find Seven, and I found even more, including a tenth member of the Garde who escaped from Lorien alive. Ella is younger than the rest of us, but just as brave. Now we're looking for the others--including John.

But so are they.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They caught me in New York--but I escaped.
I am Number Six. 
They want to finish what they started.
But they'll have to fight us first.


So I thought this was the final book, thus I expecting a lot of fighting and Mog killing and the Legacies finally getting their revenge and being able to get home to Lorien. Either way, the adventure throughout this book did not disappoint, I suppose I should have made sure it was the last one or not before I started it. That may have changed my judgement.

All the Legacies have been found but one. Though separated, Six and Four have a plan to reunite as soon as they can find others. Six is in India with Seven, Ten and a Cepan, looking for Number Eight. Four is still in the U.S. with Nine looking for Sam, hoping he's okay. He's been having strange dreams and thinks there's more to him than he thinks. None of them know how they'll ind each other again or where Setrakus-Ra is or how to defeat him. As their legacies develop and they continue to find each other, they come closer to finally going home. 

This novel is told from three vantage points: Four, Six and Seven. It's easy to know who's talking as Lore indicates it quickly in the writing. This way we get to see what's happening on both sides of the world, and as the Legacies get closer together, I felt I was on the edge of my seat waiting for them to find each other. Its similar to The Power Of Six in that way, now that the Legacies know about each other, it's all about getting together to fight. There are many twists and turns along the way and there are still many unanswered questions. 

Lore's writing is fluent and solid and easy to read. He draws you in and doesn't let you go until the last page, and even then he keeps you wanting more. The characters are all different and unique even though most of them have the same sort of powers. I like that they all have more than one ability and get away with it because they are aliens. The concept has intrigued me from the start and now I really want to read the last book (hopefully it's the last?) so that I can see how this series ends. It seemed like the type of series that could have been done in three, so I'm hoping the next one is the last because I don't want it to drag on. I can't wait to meet the last legacy and for them to finally defeat the Mogs and make their way home. 

Who will have the powers of Pittacus Lore? Who  will be the one to defeat Setrakus-Ra? Will they all make it out alive? Wish I didn't have to wait a year to find out!

“I know what I'm capable of; I am a soldier now, a warrior. I am someone to fear, not hunt.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts