Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review: Endlessly

Endlessly
Author: Kiersten White
Published: July 24, 2012
385 pages
4 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Evie's paranormal past keeps coming back to haunt her. A new director at the International Paranormal Containment Agency wants to drag her back to headquarters. The Dark Faerie Queen is torturing humans in her poisonous realm. And supernatural creatures keep insisting that Evie is the only one who can save them from a mysterious, perilous fate. The clock is ticking on the entire paranormal world. And its fate rests solely in Evie's hands. So much for normal.

Evie's voice has been what's keeping me interested in this series. She is one of a kind and everything she says makes me laugh. When I first met her and her love of pink, I knew I was going to like her. Sure enough, throughout Paranormalcy, she made me laugh and I loved how her story was playing out. In the sequel, Supernaturally, she was still funny, but her personality was disappearing behind all the madness happening around her. By this book, the final in the series, there was no more humour in her voice, for good reason, but I didn't feel any of her personality. She got stuck behind her feelings for Lend, her relationship with her sister, Vivian, and the fact that she is the only one who can send the paranormals back to their own worlds. Maybe it's because I waited too long between books, but for me, this last book lacked what I loved about the series. It quickly turned into a book about faeries that I've read before.

Still trying to live her normal life, Evie is planning out the winter formal when she's thrown right back into the life she's been trying so desperately to get out of. Someone new has taken over the IPCA and Evie is determined to find out what's happened to Raquel. On her way, she encounters the Unseelie Queen, a woman who knows what she wants and she wants Evie. If she has Evie, her sister, the Seelie Queen, can't open the gate to help the paranormals go back where they belong. Thus Evie is tossed between faeries, werewolves and trying to keep in touch with her only human friend. 

I wish the main characters stuck out more for me. Evie used to be charming, but this time I found her somewhat annoying. Lend didn't do much and I felt more for Reth this time, he was quite swoon-worthy in this book and he redeemed himself for everything he's done to Evie in the previous books. Jack was also hilarious, keeping me on my toes and wishing for more scenes with him. There were a lot of things that seemed strung together and didn't really get resolved. I liked the concept for the finale, having Evie need to open the gate, but it all seemed rushed and I feel like it could have made more of an impact if there was more detail about it. 

I'm glad everyone got their happily ever afters, a bittersweet ending for some, but it turned out how I thought it would. I wish I had been more into this one, as I was with the previous books, but I sort of just wanted it to be over with and I hated that feeling. It was predictable and cliche and I wish White had stayed away from the Seelie/Unseelie aspect. There are enough books about faeries out there already. I liked that this one was different from the rest. I'll remember Evie for her pink Taser and high heels and witty charm. 

“Sometimes it takes a little chaos for things to work themselves out. When we make it through the chaos, we can use it to shape the world around us into something better than it was before” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts