Thursday, June 13, 2013

Review: Wedding Night

Wedding Night
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Published: April 23, 2013
368 pages
4 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

Lottie just knows that her boyfriend is going to propose during lunch at one of London’s fanciest restaurants. But when his big question involves a trip abroad, not a trip down the aisle, she’s completely crushed. So when Ben, an old flame, calls her out of the blue and reminds Lottie of their pact to get married if they were both still single at thirty, she jumps at the chance. No formal dates—just a quick march to the altar and a honeymoon on Ikonos, the sun-drenched Greek island where they first met years ago.
 
Their family and friends are horrified. Fliss, Lottie’s older sister, knows that Lottie can be impulsive—but surely this is her worst decision yet. And Ben’s colleague Lorcan fears that this hasty marriage will ruin his friend’s career. To keep Lottie and Ben from making a terrible mistake, Fliss concocts an elaborate scheme to sabotage their wedding night. As she and Lorcan jet off to Ikonos in pursuit, Lottie and Ben are in for a honeymoon to remember, for better . . . or worse.


I'm going to start this off by saying that Kinsella is one of my top authors. Ever since reading Confessions of a Shopaholic many many years ago, I've picked up and enjoyed all her books since then. I anticipate her books, waiting to see what other funny, charming characters she'll come up with. Yes, her females all have a lot in common, but they are witty and fun and the story lines will always make me smile. So when I'm looking for a nice, light read that I know will put me in a good mood, Kinsella is my number one choice.

I read a review on Goodreads that described her books perfectly. There are two types of Kinsella books: the ones you absolutely love and the ones you like. None of her books are bad, but there are those that stand out among the rest. I only have a few in my 'like' list, including Twenties Girl and Shopaholic and Sister, and now Wedding Night. The premise was good, the dialogue was funny, but something was missing. I still loved it, as I have all her books, but it's not among my favourites of hers.

After not getting the proposal she thought she'd get, Lottie dumps her boyfriend and ends up in a whirl wind engagement to her summer boyfriend from 15 years ago. Her sister, Fliss, tries to stop Lottie from making a mistake, having just gotten divorced, but can't stop her sister from getting married in city hall and flying off to Greece for a honeymoon. Eager to find a way to save her sister, Fliss realizes that if they don't consummate their marriage, it can be annulled. So she decides to fly to Greece and do whatever she can to stop them from making love. What ensues are shenanigans of epic proportions, a lot of close calls for Lottie and her new husband, Ben, and enough foreplay to leave anyone flushed and rearing to go.

Lottie's situation is realistic enough. She thought she had the perfect boyfriend, but when that went down the gutter, she found the first guy that made her heart flutter. We've all be in that situation after a breakup, but hopefully we don't all get married. I wanted Lottie to be happy and I also wanted her to get it on with Ben. The amount of times they almost did it even left me sort of flustered! When they got to Greece and Fliss's minions started to stop them, I had to burst out laughing. Everything that happened during their honeymoon was hilarious and I certainly enjoyed the ridiculousness of the situation. There's no way this would happen in real life, but it certainly made for a great read! Fliss probably didn't go about it the right way, but at no point did I want her to stop. She only had good intentions, she just didn't use them properly. 

Of course, this book played out exactly how I expected it would. It was very predictable, though not from the start, but about halfway through. I still enjoyed it as I love Kinsella's writing. She gives all her characters such different backgrounds that even if they sound the same, they are all so different. I've seen how her writing has improved since Shopaholic and I'm eager to see what she has in store next. I wouldn't mind another series from her with a character as loveable as Becky Bloomwood. These are chick-lit to a tee and her books could be adapted to film with a snap of your fingers. She is the queen of her genre and I love that she took a risk with this book, even if it didn't stand out among her rest, I still enjoy her writing and will continue to read whatever she's willing to write! 

“Youth is still where you left it, and that's where it should stay. Anything that was worth taking on life's journey, you'll already have taken with you.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts