Monday, March 23, 2015

Review; Every Breath

Every Breath
Author: Ellie Marney
Published: October 14th, 2014
Hardcover, 352 pages
5 Gold Stars

(summary from Goodreads)

When James Mycroft drags Rachel Watts off on a night mission to the Melbourne Zoo, the last thing she expects to find is the mutilated body of Homeless Dave, one of Mycroft's numerous eccentric friends. But Mycroft's passion for forensics leads him to realize that something about the scene isn't right - and he wants Watts to help him investigate the murder.

While Watts battles her attraction to bad-boy Mycroft, he's busy getting himself expelled and clashing with the police, becoming murder suspect number one. When Watts and Mycroft unknowingly reveal too much to the cold-blooded killer, they find themselves in the lion's den - literally. A trip to the zoo will never have quite the same meaning to Rachel Watts again. 

I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan and James Mycroft has taken Holmes to a whole new level. He's young, sexy, and just eccentric enough to make you want to change him. Rachel Watts is the perfect Watson, eager to please and help Mycroft in anyway possible. Having him next door is both wonderful and time-consuming and Watts spends most of her time watching him experiment with forensics and try to solve cases. The biggest case yet is something they stumble on during their usual trip to the Melbourne Zoo to hang out with Homeless Dave, only he's been murdered and it's left up to them to solve it, the police figuring it's just a random homeless death. With Mycroft's forensics skills and Watts's way with people, the two of them get to the nitty gritty bottom of it all.

I loved Mycroft. I mean, who wouldn't? He was a little random, a little unorganized, and just the right amount of crazy to want to be near him. His smarts certainly got him in trouble but they also outsmarted the police in every situation. Watts was lovely and I loved the subtle moments where she noticed things about Mycroft she tried not too, like the way he looked without a shirt on and it made me crave the moment when things would change between the two of them. I'm a big fan of romance (as I'm sure we've all discovered by now) and the moment of the first kiss is my favourite part to experience in a book. All I'll say was that I was not disappointed in this one.

The mystery behind Homeless Dave's death was well done. I certainly didn't see the ending coming and I was surprised and pleased with how it all played out. The players involved each had their own reasons that may have made them the killer, but Marney weaved such an interlocking web there was no telling who actually murdered the victim. I was so engrossed with this book that I didn't put it down and read it in one sitting. The writing is fluid and I revelled in the Australian lingo that spun throughout. I reckon I'll enjoy the second book, Every Word, even more.

"If you looked inside his brain at this moment you'd see all the little synapses, Catherine wheels and penny bangers and skyrockets, all firing off into space in some sparkling display of gathering momentum. I don't want to look into his brain. Looking into his eyes is bad enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts